Silent Key Fund

A Silent Key is an Amateur Radio Operator who has passed away; his or her Morse code "key" will no longer be heard on the air waves around the world. Also called 'hams', many amateur radio operators are engineers or scientists. This fund was established in memory of hams who were members of Pacific County Amateur Radio Club, and family members who were hams in other communities. An annual education grant is awarded from this fund, with PCARC members making the award to a graduating high school student in Pacific County who intends to study engineering or science. As with other awards, a Silent Key Fund award is made to the school the student attends; funds are credited to the student's account.

Contributing to our established Silent Key Fund is appropriate when you wish to honor a Silent Key, or a family member or friend of a Silent Key. Gifts in honor of a Silent Key can be especially thoughtful on a birthday or to commemorate a special accomplishment.

Donate To This Fund »

When donating to this fund with a check, please download and fill out the required contribution form and mail it with your check to the address at the bottom of this form.

Please make checks out to SPCCF, and on the memo line, write the name of the fund you wish to donate to.

Our mailing address is SPCCF, PO Box 75, Nahcotta WA 98637.

Your community thanks you!



Robert H. Cline Family Fund

Alvin Akers

ALVIN (AL) AKERS - W7COP 1940-2016

Alvin Dempsey Akers started his adulthood at the age of 17 and a junior at Madison High School, Portland, Oregon. One night Al was out drinking and smoking with his buddies, looking for something to do. They passed by a police car that was parked at a restaurant. One of his buddies dared Al to take the light bar off the roof of the police car. Al never said "no" to a dare.

Al proceeded to disconnect the light bar while the police officers watched him as they ate their lunch inside the restaurant. These nice police officers finished their meal as Al was nearly finished removing the light bar, and walked up behind him and said, "What are you doing?" "Busted."

Read More

Al ended up in front of a judge, given a choice of jail or joining any Armed Forces branch he chose. He spent 2 tours in the Navy, serving as a gunners mate and a member of the Underwater Demolition Team.

In 1967 Al, his wife Marsha Lynn and baby Scott moved to Portland OR, where Al had grown up. He was working as an electrician but wanted to find a better job when he saw an ad for Portland Police. The pay was good, so he applied. This started his 31 year career as a Portland Police officer, where he particularly enjoyed being a motorcycle patrolman. Baby Deborah Ruth arrived in 1972.

Al and Marsha became Shelter Care Parents with the Juvenile Court System, opening their home to children that were living in situations beyond their control. In 1977 Lauré came to live with the Akers Family through the shelter care system. Due to the foster care program she stayed with the Akers until they adopted her in 1981.

When Al retired in 1998, he and his second wife Susan settled in Naselle. They remodeled their house and become very good friends with their contractor and his wife, Mike and Judy Spring. After Susan passed away in 1999, Al started going to the Twin Spruce Tavern in Warrenton, Oregon with Mike and Judy.

Al always seemed to have some sort of project going, so before we knew it, he had invested in the tavern; then he bought it. In 2000, Al enticed Deborah and her husband Josh to move from Portland to Warrenton to run the Twin Spruce Tavern. Al also convinced his daughter Lauré and her daughter Jeneice to move in with him in Naselle, so that he could help with raising Jeneice.

After Jeneice left for College, Lauré decided to Volunteer for the Naselle Fire Department. Al did not want to join and he would say "There are two types of people in this world, those that volunteer and those that don’t. You volunteer and I don‘t." Two months later he went to a Fire Department meeting with Lauré, and then later joined.

After the 2007 storm, Laur'e went to the post-disaster planning meetings, and decided that it would benefit the community if the Fire Dept had a few Amateur Ham radio Operators to help with emergencies during future power outages and storms. Al continued to "not volunteer" with the Emergency Communication System and became an Amateur Radio Operator, W7COP. He held an extra class license, and was the District 3 Manager, a position he loved.

Al will be remembered by his family, children, grandchildren, great-grandchildren and all the friends that his life impacted.


Frank Wolfe

Kathleen Sayce

Bob Frost


Bob (Robert) Burton Frost, 77, passed away peacefully January 11, 2016. He fought a fierce 20-month battle against pancreatic cancer. Bob was one of those rare people we sometimes come across in life that captures us and pulls us into their fascinating orbit.

We will miss his wisdom and the spark he ignited in each of us to teach and learn. He was a devoted Husband, Father, Grandfather, Brother, Uncle, Friend, Engineer, Sailor, HAM, Scientist, Life-long Scholar, Mentor, and Super-Volunteer.

Read More

Bob is survived by his soul mate and wife of 25 years (Susan) Susi Frost (nee Felder), his children Stuart, Stephanie, and Rob Frost, grandchildren Dylan Stensland, Isabella, Alex, and Robbie Frost, sister Jackie Brunke (nee Frost) (Art), and brother Ted Frost (Alice) all of the Puget Sound area. He was predeceased by parents Robert Victor Frost and Muriel Frederica Frost (nee Strathy) and his dear sister-in-law Darlene Felder and niece Anne Fanthorpe (nee Brunke)

Bob was born and raised in Lake Forest Park, Seattle when kids could be kids. He built life-long friendships playing in the woods and on the shores of Lake Washington. He got his HAM radio license (W7TOM) at age 13 after being inspired by a crystal radio kit.

His fascination and expertise in radios, electronics and antenna design continued throughout his life. Bob held an Extra-Class license, he communicated on his HAM radio via Morse code and voice DAILY, but rarely turned on his cell phone.

Bob graduated from Roosevelt High School in 1956 and earned his BS in Electrical Engineering from the University of Washington (UW) in 1960. He was a UW Varsity Crew Oarsman, Commodore of the Varsity Boat Club and lived in the shell house.

He sailed for six decades and raced his sailboat Frostbite in the Pacific Northwest (PHRF) winning countless trophies. His was happiest when sailing the waters of Washington and British Columbia with family and friends.

Bob worked at The Boeing Company for 40 years and retired in 1999 as Chief Engineer of Boeing Information and Electronics System Division. His assignments included SRAM Missiles and Saturn-Apollo Rockets, Pace Shield, P-3 Update, and Compass Cope programs. He was Avionics Manager for the B1 Bomber Program, and Chief Engineer for the Boeing B2 Bomber Program.

After retirement Bob began classes at the UW through their Access Program for senior citizens. Over the next fifteen years he took nearly a hundred science and engineering classes.

Bob gave countless hours and valuable knowledge to the UW Earth and Space Sciences (ESS) Department where he helped implement two new popular classes. Every spring-break he joined students and faculty on a rocket launch trip to the Black Rock Desert, Nevada.

Bob and Susi loved spending time together at their beach home named 'Happy Cottage' in Seaview (Pacific County) Washington and were involved in the community there. For the Pacific County Emergency Operation Center in Long Beach he upgraded HAM radio equipment and operating procedures for vital disaster communication. As a key volunteer for the Community Beach Clean Up he provided radio support and helped remove tons of trash and tsunami debris from the Long Beach Peninsula coastline.

In lieu of flowers Bob requested memorial donations to the Silent Key Scholarship Fund: which is part of the South Pacific County Community Foundation (SPCCF) Bob helped found this scholarship for Pacific County students pursuing a career in science.


Keith Balcom

Karen Capretto

Robert H. Cline
Read More

Melissa Fleener

Stephanie Fritts

Nancy Gorshe

Todd Landwehr

Connie Latham

Martha & Richard Lemke

Mary Mead

Maryan S. Scholl

Myong Sevel

Shilshole Bay Yacht Club

Julie Snyder

Stephen & Karen Eckhart

Robert Strathy

Robert Gould Dennison


Robert Gould Dennison, [Rob] beloved husband of Mary Dennison, passed away at their family home after a valiant battle with cancer. Rob fought this disease as he had faced every challenge in his life, with determination, dignity and grace.

Rob was born October 3, 1940 to Herschel and Bernice Dennison in Ventura, California. He grew up on the family citrus ranch with brothers Michael and Don. He had a wonderful boyhood spending hours at play in the orange groves, which helping to shape him into a man who loved the outdoors. Read More

Rob earned his engineering degree from UCLA. He left Southern California and moved to Seattle in 1965. After completing his Master's degree in electrical engineering at the University of Washington, Rob joined the Boeing Company where he spent his professional career until he retired in 2003. After numerous engineering assignments in aerospace research and development he was promoted into management. He then guided and managed research efforts as well as represented the company with national technical committees. Rob's intense interest in technology advancement served him well throughout his professional career.

In July 2002 Rob moved to the Long Beach Peninsula where, in his words, "Life really began." He and Mary joined their lives together after a beautiful two-year courtship. Rob found Mary later in life, yet it was a love of a lifetime. It was the joy of his life to move to this community and be so deeply in love.

Rob integrated himself into Mary's family easily, shouldering responsibilities and sheltering each family member. He gave his all without reserve and won the hearts of extended family and friends. He was a peacemaker and a man who listened and demonstrated his honesty, integrity and devotion.

To experience the family life and be a grandfather lovingly known as "Bonka" was a great reward in Rob's life. He had no children of his own but became the ultimate family man, entertaining us with his sense of humor and wit.

He had many passions and hobbies; Rob was an avid backpacker and cherished his time in solitude. He loved fishing and spending quiet hours on a lake in the canoe.

Rob had a huge passion for HAM radio; his call sign was AB7CF. He participated in Pacific County Amateur Radio Club. He had a desire for local youth to become involved, and a memorial fund has been established for that purpose––the Silent Key Fund.

Rob loved and served our community with tireless enthusiasm, kindness and fairness. He served the Boys and Girls Club with his computer expertise, volunteered with the Water Music Festival for five years and was active on the Planning Commission board. He always extended himself to offer his help and ideas.

Rob lived and walked his faith in Christ, always treating people equally. He was a wonderful role model and left a legacy of love for us all. He is survived by his beloved wife Mary, brothers Michael Dennison, Don Dennison, stepchildren Ethan, Emilie and husband Reese, Martin and Thomas, and grandchildren Asher and Audrey.


Pacific County Amateur Radio Club

Mary Dennison Meyer

Darlene Mae Felder


Darlene Mae Felder was born in Seattle, Washington; she lived in the Puget Sound area all her life. Darlene received her Elementary Special Education degree from Central Washington State College in 1971 and devoted her life to teaching. She taught Special Education at Edmonds Chase Lake Elementary for 30 years and made a life-long and positive impact on thousands of students.

Her calling to help special needs children began in her teens. A Campfire girl, she spent her summers at Camp Sealth as a camper, a counselor, and camp director. She served on the Puget Sound Campfire Council Board of Directors for many years. Read More

After her retirement, Darlene became interested in Amateur Radio and got her Technician-Level HAM license - KE7TQS. She became an active HAM operator and soon after achieved her General Class, then Extra-Class amateur radio license. She was proud of this achievement, and made thousands of world-wide radio contacts.

Darlene enjoyed the Long Beach Peninsula and spent a great deal of time with her family in Seaview. She gathered a caring circle of friends in Pacific County though her community involvement. She supported the Beach Clean Up, and Emergency Management Communication efforts and was the driving force and the chief cashier at the annual Seaview 'Super Sisters' Garage Sale'.


Suzi Frost

Robert Frost

Clyde Stanley Sayce


Clyde Stanley Sayce was born in Tono, Wash. to James Sayce and Hazel Augusta Erickson Sayce, the second of four children. He died at home in Ocean Park, Wash., at the age of 92.

Clyde's father was a master mechanic and master electrician, and worked on electrification projects throughout the West. The family moved 28 times between Clyde's starting elementary school and graduating from high school. During the years when they lived in western Washington, his family often vacationed in Long Beach. It was his deep wish when he was young to find a community to settle into as an adult, and not ever leave it. To Clyde, Ocean Park and Willapa Bay became that place. He moved to Ocean Park in 1951and lived there for the rest of his life. Read More

Clyde was a journeyman electrician at age16, and worked along with his father on the installation of the main generators of the first powerhouse at Grand Coulee Dam. He was a life-long member of the International Brotherhood of Electrical Workers, and received his 70-years pin in 2007.

During World War II Clyde served in the Navy. After a year of training at Sperry Rand in College Station Texas he was assigned to a Carrier Aircraft Support Unit as a radio and radar technician at the Guadalcanal Airbase. He was asked to join the Underwater Demolition Team, but chose to return to civilian life after the war.

Clyde studied at University of Washington, where he met his first wife, Bonnie Lee Wooldridge, marrying September 27, 1947. He worked on Willapa Bay as an intern for Professor Trevor Kincaid for two summers while in college and graduated in 1949 with a Bachelor of Science and a double major in Zoology and Fisheries. He worked for Washington Department of Fisheries (WDF) in Gig Harbor, Wash., for several years then came to Willapa Bay in 1951 to work as a bed manager for Bendiksen Oyster Company.

In 1955 Clyde rejoined WDF, managing the state shellfish lab in Nahcotta. He made several winter trips to Japan and one to Korea to inspect oyster seed being imported to the Pacific Northwest. He brought back the idea of holding young oysters in more protected sites for a year to improve survival. This was initially tested by John Wiegardt, and was quickly adopted by the industry when it was shown to increase survival of young oysters by a factor of ten.

He applied for and received SeaGrant funding for the construction of the shellfish lab, including dry and wet laboratories and a saltwater aquarium room. He was a keen observer of natural history, maintained an extensive mollusk collection, did primary research on burrowing shrimp control methods, started an oyster condition index that became one of the longest running shellfish condition databases on the West Coast (which in turn was used by others to map El Nino-Southern Oscillation Events and Pacific Decadal Oscillations), monitored bay water quality, and watched for invasive species on oyster beds and in bay waters, including documenting green crabs living in the bay for several years in the 1960s.

One of his favorite memories, in an ironic sense, was of being sent to the ocean beach by WDF to watch for tsunamis following the Good Friday Quake (epicenter in south central coastal Alaska) in 1964.

Clyde was an adjunct professor at the University of Washington for several decades, during which zoology and fisheries classes came to Willapa Bay each year. Students often said afterwards that these trips were the muddiest field trips of their lives. Professors Dixie Lee Ray and Ken Chew were among the regular visitors with their annual classes in marine biology, fisheries and marine zoology.

Aquaculturists, fisheries scientists, and their graduate students came from around the world to the shellfish lab in those decades. After retiring from the Fisheries Department in 1978, he farmed cranberries for several years, managing a farm started by Joe Rowe and Charlie Nelson.

Staying true to his desire to live in one place for the rest of his life, he regularly turned down job offers, including from several universities, Scripps Institute of Oceanography, Woods Hole Oceanographic Institution, NOAA-National Marine Fisheries in Oxford, Maryland, UN Food and Agricultural Organization in Rome, Italy and other agencies.

Clyde believed in community service, and in leaving the world a better place by his personal actions. He was a volunteer fireman, a school board director at Ocean Park School District, followed by Ocean Beach School District, where he stayed on the board until his youngest daughter Cyndi was a senior in high school. He was a member of Kiwanis and Toastmasters.

He and Bonnie were active in the Sandpipers Dance Club for several decades; he was a caller for the club's square dances and had a good tenor singing voice.

During his early retirement, he was on the Board of Directors for Twin Harbors Credit Union. In 1987 he became a commissioner for Port of Peninsula, a position that he held until his death. He was a member of Veterans of Foreign Wars Post #1321, and Ocean Park Chamber of Commerce.

Clyde served over 40 years as a local elected official, and with four years in the Navy, he voluntarily contributed half his life to his community and nation.

Clyde enjoyed sailing, hunting and fishing, and for several decades fished salmon on the Columbia River with Rival Moore and other friends. He was a SCUBA diver and enthusiastic photographer with a collection of antique cameras and an extensive slide collection on the aquaculture industry.

As an amateur radio operator, Clyde was active in the local ham club and especially enjoyed field day each June. He also enjoyed golfing and NASCAR races.

Late in life, he was delighted when the paved walkway alongside Bay Avenue was installed. He had lost his brother Floyd in the 1930s to a drunk driver whose car ran up on a sidewalk; a close friend, John Wiegardt, was killed crossing the road at the Nahcotta Store in the 1950s; and a neighbor, Anna Perow was killed while walking into Ocean Park on Bay Avenue. Pedestrian safety was very important to him, and for several years he walked the new path every day into downtown Ocean Park.

His first wife Bonnie Lee Wooldridge Sayce died in 2007. He is survived by his second wife Donna, his son James, and daughters Kathleen and Cyndi.


Jack's Country Store

Elizabeth & Joel Penoyar

Giro & Miyoko Nakagawa
Read More

Arlene Barber Robert & Toshi Petersen

Paul & Janet Waterstrat

Gloria Swick

Ann Skelton

Ocean Park Chamber of Commerce

Karen Gray

Celsa & Pete Johnson

Joy Weber

Carolyn & Guy Glenn

Susan Holway

Frank Morton Wolfe

Frank Morton Wolfe-N6OSC

Frank Morton Wolfe was born in New Jersey to Frank T. Wolfe and Jessie Morton Wolfe; he passed away peacefully in Stockton on April 3, 2014. Frank grew up in Southern California, graduating from Glendale High and Northwestern University where he was a member of Sigma Nu fraternity. His college education was interrupted by WWII where he served as a Navy navigator in the South Pacific.

After completing his business degree, Frank returned to California to work for American Hospital Supply Corporation. He married his childhood sweetheart, Kathleen Adams, and they raised a family in the San Francisco Bay area and later lived in Evanston and Lake Forest, Illinois. Read More

Upon retirement in 1981, he purchased a 38' sailboat and for the next five years Frank and Kathleen cruised the Eastern seaboard; north to the Chesapeake in summer and south to Florida and the Bahamas in the winter. When his wife was no longer able to stay on the boat, they relocated to Stockton to be near their daughter, Claudia.

Frank had a passion for all things transportation: planes, trains, boats, and cars. He was a whiz at building things, always did the daily crossword, loved going to restaurants, and spent many hours engaged in conversation. Another favorite pastime was listening to the big bands of the swing era, especially Benny Goodman. He met regularly with a group of like-minded guys to spend an afternoon listening to great music.

As an amateur radio operator Frank used ham radio to communicate with family while living on his sailboat in the 1980s, and later, when sailing in the Sacramento Delta.

Frank was a member of the Stockton Sailing Club where he docked his beloved sailboat the "Kathleen" and had recently moved to O'Conner Woods, which he enjoyed immensely. He was also a life-long scrapbooker, and left more than 80 scrapbooks of his life's activities.

Frank was preceded in death by his parents, his brother Robert Wolfe of Foster City, and wife, Kathleen. He leaves a son, Frank A. Wolfe (Kathleen) of Nahcotta, WA, a daughter, Claudia Schwartz (Jerry) of Stockton, and two granddaughters, Carrie Scheitrum (Matt) of Philadelphia, and Molly Alghussain (Ahmad) of San Diego, and a sister Sally Dole (Burt) of San Diego.


Frank Adams Wolfe

Kathleen Sayce